Monday, August 10, 2026

Johnny's Cafe-Omaha

 We live in a new city, so the blog moved with us.

I was looking for "old classic" steakhouses and this one totally fit the bill.  It opened by the Omaha stockyards in 1922.  It is now in an older part of town and the builiding could definitely use some updates.  Some of the reviews mention the old "basementy" smell when you walk in.  I agree, the lobby needs a redo, but once you enter the actual dining area it smells like food.

The menu is classic steakhouse.  They had prime rib, which is Mike's favorite.  Because you aren't paying for ambiance, the prices are lower than a lot of steakhouses we've been in.  The dress code is business casual.  We saw a few people who were too casual, but mostly it was people who were 50+ and they wore collared shirts and slacks.  

We started with a drink.  Mike had a typical gin and tonic and I had a glass of wine.  Their wine list is up to date and not overly priced.  We've seen many of the same bottles of wine $10-20 more at other restaurants.  

                                            

We started with the French onion soup.  It was OK.  The broth didn't have much taste to it.


I ordered Johnny's fish and Mike had prime rib.  I had a side of hash browns.  Mike had baked potato.  My fish was breaded and fried very nicely, but the actual fish was very nondiscript and kind of mushy.  The outside was crispy but the inside was too soft.  The fish didn't hold together well.

Mike said his prime rib was good.  Not the best he's ever had, but it was good.

For dessert we split some warm apple cobbler with ice cream.  


Dishes came out quickly, so you don't really linger and spend the whole evening there.  I think we were in and out in under 90 minutes.  

Kind of old, decent prices, decent food.  




No comments:

Post a Comment