I knew nothing about this place other than the reviews I read online. It is in downtown Omaha in the Old Market area. You have to find a parking lot. It cost us about $12 to park for the evening.
We had reservations at 6. The restaurant is attached to The Farnum, a newly remodeled hotel. Our waiter told us that the owners are 2 Creighton University alums (one was even some big basketball star). The chef is from the Ritz Carlton in St. Louis. So, we have probably eaten his food before!
The vibe of the restaurant was nice. I liked their use of unique lighting. The only thing I didn't like is that because everything is cooked on a "wood fire" the entire restaurant smelled like a campfire. It was fine for awhile, but eventually, by the end of the night, it gave me a headache. I would hate to work there, you would go home with your clothes smelling like campfire every night.
We started with cocktails and told the waiter (Armond) that we were here for a liesurely dinner. He was good to not rush anything.
We were given a small bread course of cornbread in the shape of corn on the cob. It was cute and tastey. I liked it more than Mike did. He didn't think it tasted enough like cornmeal.
We ordered and had opened a bottle of Cline cabernet. It was good. We enjoyed it and it didn't break the bank.
I ordered the scallops for dinner. They were served on a small bed of risotto. They were delicious. The unique thing about the dish was the little "salad" served with them. It was asparagas that had been shaved with a peeler mixed with pepperoncini. I LOVE pepperoncini and to have something that acidic next to something like risotto what a great play off of one another. The asparagus was just meh.
Mike had a filet and decided to have their fancy mac and cheese as a side. He also was talked into a steak sauce. He is usually not much of a steak sauce kind of guy. This sauce had turmeric in it and was just enough different that he thought it was worth a try. He used it sparingly and liked it. He felt his steak was well prepared.
This place is expensive and probably more of a special occasion type of place. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. I'd probably give it 4/5 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment